September 16, 2021, 0 Comments
What is Local SEO? Everything You Need To Know
What is local SEO, anyway? You’ve probably heard of SEO or Search Engine Optimization. It’s the process of making a website attractive to search engines. If you’re interested in ranking higher on Google and other popular search engines, you should definitely give this article a read!
In short, Local SEO is the practice of optimizing your website and business’ online presence for more visibility and traffic.
What that really means is that you want your business to rank higher in local search results. A while back, we talked about Search Intent and how it has a lot to do with the success of SEO. Well, we’re going to take a look at how the intent of a person who’s searching a location is different from the intent of someone looking for general information, like maybe your business’ hours.
Remember that Google has over 200 factors that they use to determine how to rank pages in their search results. Some of these are on-page factors (like whether or not you have correct metadata), and some are off-page (like the number of links pointing back to your website). But there’s one particular element that plays a huge role in local SEO: NAP (Name, Address, Phone Number).
It probably goes without saying, but this is why it’s so important to make sure your business details are listed across all major directories. This includes sites like Facebook, FourSquare, etc., but most importantly, Google My Business.
How Local SEO Works?
Remember how I said that the intent of someone searching for your business is different depending on whether they’re online or offline? Well, let’s take a look at how it works with local SEO.
If your business isn’t list on Google yet, you don’t have to worry too much about local SEO. But once it is, there are a few things you can do to make sure the results are as close to perfect as possible:
- Make sure all listings show your correct information. As I said before, this includes name, address, and phone number (NAP).
- Get reviews! Remember how I said that search engines like Google take into consideration people’s sentiment? Well, this means that if someone takes time out of their day to leave a review for your business, it’ll definitely play in your favour when it comes time for rankings. The more good reviews you get (and the more often they’re posted!), the more likely search engines are to bring you up in results.
- Optimize your website. Your site should have pages dedicated to services, products, corporate information, etc., and each of these pages should be filled with relevant keywords that relate to what people will be searching for when they want to find someone like you.
Once you have all this set up correctly on Google My Business, it’s time to learn about the other factors that go into local SEO! This includes getting links from local sites (so that your business is linked on them), including keywords in social media bios, and creating blogs for each product/service you offer. I’m not going to go over every single part of local SEO right now because this article has pretty much already doubled in size since I started, but be sure to check out the resources below if you have any questions!
How to do local SEO?
Piecing together a local SEO campaign can be confusing, but it doesn’t have to be! Let’s say you just bought a new website.
- Start off by creating some pages about your business and what it offers that your customers want to know about. This includes information like location, phone number, hours of operation, etc. Also include any relevant keywords you’ve found through competitor research on these pages: this will help search engines find them easily and rank you higher in future results!
- Get reviews from clients who’ve used your products or services before. People love reading reviews on Google and other sites, so giving them the opportunity is a great way to build trust with potential clients who may not be familiar with you! Be sure to get their approval before posting these reviews.
- Create a blog for each product or service you offer, and fill it with helpful information that gives your clients the chance to learn more about what they want in-depth. This is another way for search engines to see your business as an authority in the field, which will also help you rank higher when people are searching for someone like you!
- Write some guest posts on other local blogs related to your industry (i.e., if you own a bakery, find food-related sites that would love to hear from you!). Mention information about how web marketing has helped make your business’ success possible whenever possible! The idea here is that Google will see this good content on other local blogs and know that you’re not just blowing smoke when it comes to your business’s ability to rank high in results.
- Get links from all of the pages you is create on your website! This will show search engines that people find them relevant, which closes the deal in getting you ranked higher than your competitors in local searches.
- Finally, don’t forget about social media! People trust their friends and family more than they trust strangers when it comes to deciding who deserves their attention online…so make sure to include keywords related to what people are most likely searching for when it comes time to choose between similar products or services.
Why local SEO is important?
Your local SEO campaign really can help you get ahead of your competitors in rankings. In fact, a survey from BrightLocal showed that 90% of people prefer to search for local businesses through Google instead of other platforms, and 66% of these types of searches end up with the user contacting a business within one day!
In August of 2012, Google began including Yelp reviews into their search results for more than 30 different industries; this update was huge because it meant that online reviews were now playing an even bigger role when it comes time for rankings (and had more potential to bring you business).
Currently, the biggest advantage that someone who does proper local SEO has over others is their ability to claim top listings on Google Maps (if they haven’t already been claimed). When you claim your listing, it means that you’re the only one who can edit its information. This is a great way to showcase your business’s best features in an organised way without having to compete with any other businesses for users’ attention within the same radius!
How long does local SEO take?
Depending on how much time and effort you put into really setting up and marketing your campaign, local SEO could be as quick as a few weeks or as long as several months. It varies widely depending on how strong of a foundation you build at the beginning!
What is the Best local SEO keyword tool?
This is one of those complicated questions which can be answered in two ways: first off, there are specific tools meant for creating successful local SEO campaigns, and then there are some general tools that any business can use to increase their success online.
Here is a list of the best keyword research tools:
1. Google Keyword Planner:
This is one of the most famous and effective search engine optimization tools (also made by Google itself). It’s free to use, but it does require you rather long registration process before you’re actually able to start using it. This makes it not the most popular choice for those who just want everything done fast without having to invest too much time.
This is one of the best performing keyword research tools around, and it’s also not too expensive if you choose to pay for its upgraded membership (which will give you access to even more features). This tool requires no registration but only has limited searches available per day until you upgrade your account. It can be downloaded as an app which makes it very easy to use on mobile devices, so this might be the ideal choice for those who are always on the go!
3. Moz Local:
If local SEO is what you’re looking for, then this is the perfect free tool for finding everything that you could ever need right in one spot! There isn’t a limit on how many searches you can perform, so this is great for those who are aiming to do a lot of research or just simply want things done faster.
4. Bright Local:
This is one of the smartest tools for local SEO campaigns out there, although it can be a little difficult to use at first. It does have a free trial period so you can try before you buy in order to see if this is really what you’ve been looking for in your search. It also doesn’t require any registration and offers unlimited searches!
This tool makes it incredibly easy to find all of the best-performing websites which might potentially link back to yours (therefore helping your own website rank higher). This tool will give you everything that you need to know about local SEO and how it works in order for you to make a sound decision when it comes time to choose which tool will work best for your campaign.
How do I check competitors’ Local rankings?
There are multiple tools that can give you this answer, but be careful because not all of them bring accurate results. The most popular choice is the Moz Local tool (mention above) because it scans through Google’s entire index and finds anything that matches with what you’re looking for – whether the information is available publicly or otherwise!
While we could go on all day about why we feel we’re one of the best local SEO companies in Las Vegas, we’ll instead let our work speak for itself so you can see the excellent results we’re able to produce!
Whether you’re a small business owner or someone who wants to build their own website, there are many reasons why it might be worth your while. Plenty of people around the world use Google Maps for directions and checking out what businesses are nearby. If you want them to see your business as well, local SEO is key. To make sure that they find you without any trouble, we can help with our expertise in digital marketing and search engine optimization (SEO). We know how to get more traffic from locals on mobile devices like smartphones and tablets too! Contact us today if you’d like more information about local SEO services that will boost visibility online so customers come right into your store when they need something!